Cynical Banter: Jaded By The Socially Inept
Wednesday, August 16, 2006
  Caffine addiction and it's grip on our sanity.....
I woke up this morning a few hours later than i would had this been a work day. Having slept about 9 hours i should feel rejuvinated, ready to start the day. BUT i actually want more. More sleep is all i can think about as i recoil back under my blanket. Facing the ooutside world has never been such a daunting task. Finally i manged to break free of the sleepy shackles that bind me to my bedding. At this point i feel an invigoration that would have seemed impossible but an hour ago. This invigoration is born of a need, no, more of a burning desire actually. I can almost smell it, taste it, feel it coursing through my veins.

Clearly coffee has taken hold of me with the grip of a dying man clinging to life itself. I have tried to quit on many occasions (making it over 2 months at my best) but have always returned to my sweet black crack. Quitting usually involves some kind of introspective period as I examine my life and where my addictions fit in. I tell myself that i do not NEED coffee, and i would be a much healthier person without it. Not true though. I may not need coffee, but i feel much healthier WITH it. My immune sysetem becomes a mighty and formidable force. Picture millions of white cells cracked out and angry, each holding a tiny little coffee mug ("worlds greatest blood cell" imprinted on the side). And lets not forget my digestive system. Years of thick black espresso has coated and hardened my insides. Indigestion is a thing of the past, if my naturally produced acids and enzimes can't break down a food molecule, rest assured that the latent coffee will dissolve it leaving no trace (or heartburn).

So with all these many benifits (or delusions) associated with coffee, is it any wonder that you can sit at almost any Starbucks, look down the road, and see the NEXT starbucks? people love to demonize such establishments as 'evil corperations', but WE ALL made them that way. Starbucks would be just another little coffee shop in a strip mall (next to a trailer park) if so many of us didn't live and breathe for coffee.

On a personal note, I have recently quit both drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes. Now who knows how long such a lofty attempt will last, but i do know that my close companion coffee will be there for me through it all. Support of friends and family is great, but at the same time tends to seem somewhat patronizing. "good luck quitting". "how long has it been". "i know you can do it".

How the FUCK does that help me?

I say if you cant curb my hunger, elevate my mood, increase my metabolic rate by 30%, and leave me in a cold sweat typing away my worries, you should really just go make me a goddamn coffee!


Thank You Java World, Java Planet, Starbucks, Serious Coffee, Manhatten Coffee, Tim Hortons, and any others that I`ve missed.

Dr. Gagnon
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Nanaimo, Canada

We are intelligent and cool.

ARCHIVES
August 2006 / September 2006 /


Powered by Blogger

www.coolcounters.net